Keeping kids occupied for two weeks or more can be a daunting task, particularly for our kids for whom two or three extra-curricular activities a week are the norm. Highly-organised school routines come to a sudden halt during the term holidays, leaving the kids with too much time on their hands! And to whom do they turn to, to keep them occupied? Meee!
Some kids feel comfortable with the routines of school-life and can feel a little lost until the new holiday routine kicks in – not mine. I guess I’m a pretty relaxed parent, maybe too relaxed sometimes! I just don’t want to fall into the trap of being an entertainment officer. Whilst I want the kids to be occupied, I find it worthwhile remembering that kids need some downtime (they say it’s a pre-requisite for good mental health) and I’m good for that, because all mums need downtime too.
Olea would have to be my worst child forsaying “I’m bored”. She struggles to entertain herself – unlike Tommy, so I’malways trying to find fun ways to keep her amused - which are inexpensive!
Here are some highlights from the first week.
 |
| Baynton West Park |
Shae and Tahlia are Olea's twin friends from school. They live just down the road, and they often come up for a play. This is Shae and Olea playing in the tree. They ended up having a sleep over and didn't end up getting to sleep until 3 am in the morning!
 |
| Two little bumble bees chatting in the tree. |
|
 |
| Olea and Shae |
|
 |
| Shae and Olea |
 |
| Olea, practicing her reading |
 |
| Jared drew up a calendar for Olea, which she has hung on her wall. She crosses off the days until we leave for Tassie. |
 |
| I stole this photo from Karen - we went to Hearsons Cove, but I didn't get many photos as it was getting too dark! |
 |
| Blurry photo but I love it! It really captures the beautiful water at Hearsons Cove. "How long till I'm taller than you, mum?" |
 |
| Jacob is the bestest big brother a little sister could ask for! |
|
 |
| Olea, making yummy cottage pie for Adam and Gunda. |
 |
| Tigger, helping Olea cut the veggies. |
 |
| Boys will be boys! |
 |
| Jacob, trying to pose for his crab catch! Haha |
|
Jacob is hardly home these days. Mr popular is always out boating, fishing and jet skiing with his friends. A few months ago, I received an emergency phone call from Tom's mum saying that Jakie had been stung by a jelly fish, and they were bringing him in on the boat as fast as they could to get him to the hospital. I was so scared he had been bitten by a Irukandji - they are tiny and extremely venomous jellyfish that inhabit Karrather waters. He ended up being ok, but we never found out what stung him. They gave him numbing cream and sent him home to get some rest. Few.
The other night, Dale came up form Perth, (he now goes to Wesley Boarding School), and a few other friends of Jacob's came to our house for a sleep over. At one stage of the night, they had all disappeared. It didn't take me long to figure out that they were all running up and down the street playing in the rain. Yes, that's right. Teenagers playing in the rain. Only in Karratha! I really wanted to get a photo, but I think Jakie was too embarrassed! Haha
No comments:
Post a Comment