This year, the boys and I volunteered to do the Salvation Army’s Red Shield Appeal door knock. Ammon was keen to go; Tommy went along because he loves to do what his older brothers do, and Jacob – well I had to convince him to come along as he wasn’t thrilled about door knocking.
The Salvation Army’s national goal this year was a staggering $79
million! Wow! That’s a lot of money! They needed about 100,000 volunteers to
make it a success and I am curious to know if they reached their goal.
We all met at the chapel at 3 pm, teaming up in pairs. Jacob went with Stuart Otto and raised about $150. Ammon went with the missionaries but unfortunately didn’t have that much luck- I think they raised about $50. Jacob and I went together, and we raised $220. I was pleasantly surprised at how generous most people were and the courtesy they showed us. It was also a good experience for Jacob to see how others lived and the meaning behind what we were doing. The boys have never really had to go without, so it was a good opportunity to teach them that raising funds can mean a roof to someone without a home, education support for a child at risk of dropping out of school or a meal on the table for someone who couldn’t afford to feed themselves. It also gave them a taste of what missionary work would be like.
![]() |





No comments:
Post a Comment