Monday, July 4, 2011

Ammons trip in an Ambulance


Last week I got a call from St Luke’s saying that Ammon had been knocked unconscious. My first reaction was panic and I had a million questions. How on earth does a child become unconscious at school? Well......apparently it was the end of recess and the boys were rushing to their next class and while running around the corner, ran into each other,  Ammon was knocked out for a few seconds.....according to his friends.  When a child is found unconscious it is school policy to leave them where they landed and an ambulance is to be summoned. When I got to the school he was awake and lying on the concrete. The school were a little concerned that he had complained of a sore neck, therefore they thought he may have spinal injuries. It turned out that he was fine – however precautionary measures are always good. I went with Ammon in the Ambulance to the hospital where we had to wait for hours after suspected loss of consciousness in order to do neurological observations. He ended up with a severe migraine which was frustrating since nurses can only give the minimum amount of medication to start with and gradually increase the dose if it has no therapeutic  effect. I knew  from the beginning that one panadol was not going to cut the grass.  As his pain increased, I informed the Doctors that he would need something stronger so they then proceeded to give him panadol and nurofen which didn’t work either. I wasn’t surprised.  As a last resort, it was time for intravenous fluids and tramadol which did the trick. Finally.





For some reason, I have noticed that Ammon has uncharacteristic reactions to medications. He either needs higher doses than the average person or the medication does the literal opposite to what it is theoretically alleged to do.

After 5 hours, I was finally ready to laugh at yet another one of Ammon’s frequent mishaps!

No comments:

Post a Comment